You just arrived at your hotel where you are going to spend a nice summer weekend. After leaving your bags, you take a look at your room and examine your classy bathroom.
You can already see yourself enjoying the rain shower when, suddenly, you are so surprised: there are no shampoo sample, no shower gel sample, nothing at all!
Of course, you have big bottles of shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner but no small plastic bottle that are easy to take home. So you can be proud of yourself because it means that you have picked a hotel where the owner cares about the environmental protection.
Here, there are no small savings for customers but only environmental savings for their children and grandchildren.
Think about the environmental impact of “just” 4 small cosmetic samples. Each bottle is made of plastic, which requires oil that pollutes water and air for its extraction and use. In addition, the manufacture of the bottle consumes electricity that emits even more greenhouse gases (GHG). All of this just to add more plastic waste in your trash!
In a hotel that opened 15 years ago, if every guest used 4 small bottles, can you imagine the size of the plastic statue you could build? Do you want it with your face? I do not.
A tip shared by Marci
YOUR ENVIRONMENTAL SAVINGS*
Every time you do not use a hotel’s cosmetic samples, you’ll save for each plastic bottle:
- 88 oz / 25 grams of plastic waste
- 38 fl. oz / 100 ml of oil (plastic bottle and shipment)
- 53 gallons / 5.8 liters of water (oil extraction)
- 24 kW of power (manufacturing of the bottle)
- 47 oz / 70 grams of CO2 equivalent (power production, oil extraction, and shipment)
- 16.15 ft2 / 1.5 m2 ecological footprint (virtual forest area required to absorb CO2 emissions)
(*) These data are statistically estimated for personal use only. Any use for scientific, business or legal purposes is strongly discouraged.
- Marci’s hotel in Massachusetts: http://www.naomisinn.net/